Portage County is all about having a servant heart and providing services that enable our citizens to build productive communities, families and lives. The Portage County Finance team is hiring a Financial Associate II !
What are the primary job duties?
- Reviews invoices for accuracy and enters for payment in the financial accounts payable system by ensuring proper expenditure coding, three-way match requirements, appropriate support documentation, and adherence to applicable County policies and procedures.
- Reconciles invoices with system reports to balance and submits invoices to finance management staff for approval.
- Reviews and enters invoices for specific County services which require fund source monitoring and reporting as defined by each department. (For example, substitute care payments, juror payments, Comprehensive Community Services, etc.)
- Pays vendors by monitoring discount opportunities, verifies tax information and compliance with 1099 IRS regulations, resolves purchase order, contract, invoice or payment discrepancies and documentation, ensures credit is received for outstanding credit memos.
- Works with vendors to resolve discrepancies and/or concerns.
- Verifies vendor records by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.
- Reviews and enters payments for employee travel reimbursements.
- Sets up and maintains recurring invoices.
- Maintains information related to county assets by reviewing invoices and recording appropriate information to maintain the fixed asset system.
- Assists in the month end closing process.
- Reviews and reconciles the bi-weekly payroll data submitted by county departments to ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements, federal and state law, and Human Resources policies.
- Assists staff with payroll process related issues and questions.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Prepares worksheet tracking capital project spending.
- Prepares worksheets to track expenditures for Health and Human Services (HHS) programs for reporting purposes including Children’s Community Options Program (CCOP) expenses and Comprehensive Community Services (CCS) Program expenses. Reconciles worksheets to the County’s financial system.
- Prepares room and board calculations for HHS adult residential placements and forwards to the case worker and accounts receivable staff.
- Prepares and enters general journal entries as needed.
- Prepares and/or assists in the compilation of data and other financial records for preparation of routine or special reports as needed.
- Analyzes balance sheet, revenue, and expenses accounts and performs reconciliations as needed.
- Assists in preparation of worksheets for annual budget and year end audit.
For a position description, please contact: email@example.com
Portage County offers a robust benefit package for permanent employees working at least 20 hours/week. Benefits include;
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years’ experience in accounting (accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, etc.) required, preferably in a government setting.
- Ability to successfully pass a financial and criminal background check.
- Must meet County bonding requirements.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) Paid by the County
- Vacation – available on your first day!
- Paid holidays
- Sick pay
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer