Portage County is all about having a servant heart and providing services that enable our citizens to build productive communities, families and lives. Due to a retirement, the Portage County Finance team is hiring a Financial Associate III !
What are the primary job duties?
Grant Financial Reporting, which includes:
General Billing, which includes:
- Assists in preparing information for completion of grant applications.
- Prepares and reviews accounting entries (transactions and journals) related to grant programs or projects. Reviews account transactions including payroll, purchase order, payments for proper posting to grant or project accounts.
- Prepares fiscal reports for grant programs and ensures timely submission.
- Reconciles reports to actual general ledger expenses.
- Reconciles project ledger to general ledger for grants and projects.
- Prepares worksheets used to allocate costs to various programs for reporting purposes.
- Prepares and submits invoices/billings/claims and collects funds for the support of grant program and project expenditures. Monitors grants program reimbursement to ensure payments are accurate and received in a timely manner. Reviews aging accounts receivable with follow up as necessary.
- Maintains the grant monthly reporting checklist.
- Monitors and tracks the status of each grant or project through its life cycle.
- Assists staff (program managers) in the financial reporting and administrative requirements of their grants/contracts or projects.
- Monitors fiscal compliance by subcontractors and sub-recipients in accordance with established guidelines.
- Maintains the grant master and grant related documents.
- Calculates and prepares administration and overhead charges in accordance with the County’s cost allocation plan and grant or project allowable guidelines.
- Assists in the preparation and review of A-133 Single Audit compliance and reporting.
General Accounting, which includes:
- Prepares invoices as needed.
- Prepares countywide interdepartmental invoices for phone, computer charges, and manage print, and others as necessary.
- Assists County departments with general billing questions.
- Issues customer account statements monthly.
- Reviews accounts receivable balances, follows up on customer accounts with outstanding or aging receivables, and works with department staff to resolve outstanding invoices and billing discrepancies.
- Reviews and updates customer information as necessary and merges duplicate customer information.
- Transfers overpayment information on customer accounts for other outstanding invoices and processes customer refunds as necessary.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Prepares and enters general journal entries as needed.
- Prepares and/or assists in the compilation of data and other financial records for preparation of routine or special reports as needed.
- Analyzes balance sheet, revenue, and expenses accounts and performs reconciliations as needed.
- Assists in preparation of worksheets for annual budget and year end audit.
Portage County offers a robust benefit package for permanent employees working at least 20 hours/week. Benefits include;
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate Degree in Accounting or related field preferred.
- Four years’ experience in accounting (accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, payroll, etc.) preferred, preferably in a government setting.
- Ability to successfully pass a financial and criminal background check.
- Must meet County bonding requirements.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) Paid by the County
- Vacation – available on your first day!
- Paid holidays
- Sick pay
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan