Portage County does not offer a benefit package for limited term employment.
This is a brief description of the job duties:
The purpose of this position is to assist the Treasurer in receiving, disbursing, and maintaining records and reports for County funds and perform other duties as assigned.
- Remits payment to the State for Managed Forest Lands closed acreage.
- Assists in the collection of tax receipts.
- Orders general office supplies and necessary forms for running tax bills.
- Types ‘Notice of Application for Issue of Tax Deed’ and sends by certified mail.
- Enters municipal tax collections and information into the computer.
- Balances, separates and disburses Real Estate Transfer Forms.
- Maintains daily collection ledger balance of general and tax accounts monthly.
- Prepares monthly Sales Tax report due to the State, and reconciles ledger accounts.
- Maintains Probate file, and prepares payment to the State.
- Prepares report and remits monies to the State for Marriage and Dog License Fees.
- Researches and processes requests for replacement checks.
- Maintains municipal collections file for Managed Forest Land, Woodland Tax and Forest Crop.
These are the skills we are seeking:
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Associates degree in Business, Accounting or related field required.
Three years bookkeeping experience preferably in a municipal government setting with experience interpreting legal descriptions preferred.
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
Apply at: www.co.portage.wi.us
Portage County Human Resources
1462 Strongs Ave.
Stevens Point, WI 54481