The Portage County Highway Department is looking for a hardworking, driven and motivated individual for their State Patrol Manager position opening!
What are the essential job functions?
Roadways Maintenance and Construction:
- Organize and coordinate daily work projects in accordance with scheduled budgetary programs and in accordance to county, state, and federal standards.
- Directly supervises all county construction and maintenance activities in a safe and efficient manner.
- Works with departmental, regulatory agency, utilities, and state personnel in preparing and carrying out construction plans and maintenance activities.
- Accurately logs all time for employees and equipment for payroll and the machinery accounting system.
- Maintains inventory of state materials for maintenance.
- Meets with North Central Regional Highway Maintenance Engineers on a regular basis to coordinate work between the State of Wisconsin and Portage County.
- Maintains road checks to provide safe roadways 24 hours a day, seven days a week, year round.
- Responsible for winter maintenance activities on the state and county highway system.
- Provides road reports for Portage County and Wisconsin DOT.
- Supervises and coordinates the state bridge maintenance program with oversight from the WisDOT bridge maintenance engineers.
- Assists townships in bridge matters if so requested.
Signing and Pavement Marking:
- Coordinates and supervises all highway signing in Portage County in accordance with the Uniform Manual of Traffic Control Devices.
- Maintains inventory of materials for new signs, bridge markers, barricades and guard rail. Keeps accurate and updated records for all sign replacements.
- Provides supervision to the pavement marking crew for activities performed on state county and local roads.
- Assists Highway Commissioner in budget creation and administration.
- Assists Highway Commissioner in administering highway contracts and work that is performed in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Assists the Commissioner with departmental personnel matters.
- Works with other county and state agencies.
- Handles public complaints and requests for services. Works with local landowners and coordinating county highway work with their specific interest and requirements.
- Determines, develops and implements training requirements and schedules for all highway department employees.
What are the minimum requirements?
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Associate degree in civil engineering or related field strongly preferred.
- Seven years of experience in highway maintenance and construction required.
- Three years of supervisory experience required. Over 5 years of supervisory experienced strong preferred.
- Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License. Must obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) within six months of hire.
- Equivalent experience, knowledge and professional training which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be available to be called to work seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day to handle emergency work conditions.
Portage County offers a great benefit package for permanent employees working at least 20 hours/week. Benefits include:
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution and a Traditional PPO plan)
- Paid holidays
- Sick leave
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.