Portage County is all about having a servant heart and providing services that enable our citizens to build productive communities, families and lives. The Health and Human Services department is hiring a full time Community Health Educator!
What are the primary job responsibilities?
Community Health Education, Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation:
Communication & Reporting:
- Establish strong relationships with other agencies/departments, community groups and interested parties and create synergy around common public health agenda issues.
- Leads and participates on community planning teams targeting identified health priority areas.
- Independently, or with community planning teams, analyzes public health needs in the community and identifies, implements, and evaluates program impacts and outcomes.
- Obtains and reviews health related data about social and cultural environments, development factors, needs, and interests to distinguish between behaviors that foster and those that hinder well-being.
- Recruits community organizations, resource people, and maintains a network of engaged supporters.
- Develops comprehensive education programs, selects indicators to measure the progress, tracks and reports outputs and outcomes utilizing data gathered.
- Designs, plan and conduct needs assessments, analyze results and communicate findings to key audiences.
- Asist with implementation of community health improvement plans for identified health priorities.
- Monitor plan/intervention progress; design, execute, and report on evaluation strategies and measures; identify areas for improvement.
- Obtain, disseminate, or provide expert assistance on best practices in population health.
- Collaborate with other County departments and community agencies on identified health priorities.
- Arrange and participate in multi-disciplinary meetings as necessary.
- Develop and maintain systems for collecting and maintaining data obtained through assessment, evaluation, and outcome measurement.
- Document activities and progress of assigned projects.
Education or Program Coordination:
- Designs, presents, and coordinates health education programs; coordinates training programs.
- Designs strategies and systems to measure the impact of the programs offered. Formulates appropriate and measurable program objectives.
- Creates a variety of social marketing campaigns and tools to promote health concepts and other public health messages to the community.
- Advocates for policy changes to address community health issues. Provides public speaking to organizations and advocacy groups.
- Provides technical assistance to the other County departments, community groups, and consumers on current health information.
- Prepares media releases, press packets, interviews, and serves as a media spokesperson. Develop and implement strategies for agency communications including development and maintenance of websites and identifying/proposing opportunities for online social networking.
- Assist with coordinating and writing the annual reports, press releases, and other communication materials.
- Assist with agency reporting as requested.
What are the minimal qualifications?
- Serve as a resource for staff and community providers.
- Collaborate with supervisor in determining education or program needs, i.e., supplies, personnel, etc.
- Schedules and leads education program planning, sets agendas, and arranges for recording of meeting minutes.
- Manages grants, contracts, and prepares required reports.
Portage County offers the following benefits:
- Graduate from accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in public health, community health education or health promotion, nursing, or related field. Master’s degree in public health preferred.
- Professional work experience public/community health field required. Health education in a community-based setting preferred.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) required or must be obtained within one year of employment and maintained during employment.
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) Paid by the County
- Employee Wellness program
- Vacation - available on date of hire!
- Paid holidays
- Sick pay
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan