Portage County is looking to hire a Limited Term Treasurer Associate. In this position you will assist the Treasurer in receiving, disbursing, and maintaining records and reports for the County and perform other duties as assigned.
Some of the Essential Functions include:
- Assists in the preparation of tax bills and collection of tax receipts.
- Maintains municipal collections file for Managed Forest Land and Private Forest Crop.
- Maintains the daily reconciliation of bank deposits.
- Maintains the daily reconciliation of credit card payments.
- Assists in the preparation of legal notices for publication or mailing.
- Reconciles Sales Tax account, remits monthly Sales Tax report and payment to the State.
- Prepares Real Estate Transmittal monthly report and remits with payment to the State.
- Remits quarterly Probate and Vitals report and payment to the State.
- Prepares report and remits monies to the State for Marriage and Dog License Fees.
- Researches and processes requests for replacement checks.
- Orders general office supplies.
- Maintains Personal Property Chargeback files and prepares requisitions for payment of County’s share.
Non-essential functions include:
- Maintains correspondence files on delinquent taxpayers.
- Attends scheduled meetings, conferences and training sessions.
- Operates photocopying and other office machines.
- Assists in administering the Lottery Credit to taxpayers.
- Completes other duties as assigned by Treasurer.
- In case of a disaster may be required to assist in disaster relief efforts.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates degree in Business, Accounting or related field required.
- Three years bookkeeping experience preferably in a municipal government setting preferred.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to supervise employees.
- Ability to answer questions and provide information to public and other individuals regarding tax information.
- Ability to operate computer accurately.
- Ability to record and transfer data accurately.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to balance accounts and determine causes of errors or problems.
- Ability to perform data entry quickly and accurately.
- Ability to use county office equipment and programs including but not limited to: email, telephone, computer, photocopier, printer, fax and Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to maintain regular, consistent and reliable attendance.
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal and credit background check.
- Knowledge of financial record keeping.
- Knowledge of proper office etiquette.
Portage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.