Do you desire a career in law enforcement? Portage County is creating an eligibility list for future hiring as a Corrections Officer.
Some of the duties in the Jail and Juvenile Detention Center Operations include:
- Supervises inmates and maintains security of Jail and Juvenile Detention Center
- First line inmate grievance mediator
- Completion of initial mental health screenings
- Assists in the transport of prisoners to and from facilities, courts and medical/mental treatment facilities
- Dispense medication and assist nurse with medical visits
- Provides mental and physical triage to inmates
- Maintain required data, complete necessary forms and document behavioral problems
- Photograph and fingerprint inmates
These are the skills we are seeking:
Additional requirements include:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Associate Degree in Criminal Justice preferred.
- Completion of basic jailer school or grandfathered by Wisconsin Training and Standards board preferred.
- Prior corrections experience preferred.
- Valid Wisconsin Driver's License
- No felony convictions unless pardoned by the Governor
- Must be 18 years of age or older and a U.S. Citizen
- Must meet and maintain recruitment and eligibility criteria established by the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board of Jailers
- Must satisfactorily complete all required training during time period established by department and pass background check
Portage County offers a robust benefit package for this position. Benefits include;
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account with a High Deductible Plan with a County contribution or a traditional PPO Plan)
- Paid holidays
- Sick leave
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer