Portage County (Stevens Point, WI) is currently seeking candidates to fulfill the current term for the elected position of County Clerk effective January 3, 2020 through January 3, 2021. Ideally the candidate would start as a Deputy County Clerk in November for training purposes.
Duties of the Position: The duties for the position of County Clerk are outlined in Wis. Stats. 59.23 and are listed below in more detail.
What are the job functions?
- Act as clerk of the County Board and various Committees including creating the agenda, keep and record minutes, record the vote of all members, and record every resolution adopted, order passed and ordinance enacted by the Board
- Issue marriage licenses and process terminations of domestic partnerships
- As the chief election officer of the county, performs all duties that are imposed on the clerk in relation to the preparation and distribution of ballots, publication of election notices, and the canvass and return of votes at general, judicial and special elections. Filing officer for nomination papers for various elected officials. Appoints Board of Canvassers and conducts federal, state and county ordered recounts and conducts audits of electronic voting equipment. Conducts required WisVote data entry for contracted municipalities.
- Maintains Portage County Code of Ordinances
- Perform all duties that are imposed on the clerk in relation to the assessment and collection of taxes
- Submits County Board payroll
- Conducts Citizen Member recruitment
- Keeps accurate record of all money which comes into the clerk’s hands and keeps record of all books of account in which the board directs
- Make out and deliver to the treasurer duplicate receipts of all money received by the clerk as clerk, and countersign and file in the clerk’s office
- Make and deliver to any person (for a fee) a certified copy or transcript of any book, record, account, file, paper or certificate
- Receive and file official oaths and bonds of all county officers
- Report all receipts and disbursements to board
- Forward all printed reports made under the authority of board or by the authority of other county officers to historical society
- Notify the proper town officers of the levy and rate of any tax for the county road and bridge fund
- Send the secretary of state a list of showing the name, phone number, email address of local official via compiling and publication of County Directory
- Conducts all statutory and county ordinance related functions for taking of tax deeds
- Conducts distribution and reconciliation of dog tags and supplies to municipal treasurers, and prepares annual report and submits to State
- Responsible for all claims filed against the county.
- Filing officer for various leases, contracts, probate claims notices, annexations, relocation orders, rezoning requests, notice of intent to cut timber
- Serves as information center via phone, email and counter for County Services and other agencies
- Oversees operations of the mailroom, distribution and posting of all incoming and outgoing mail for all county departments
- Perform all other duties required of the clerk by state law and county ordinances
What kind of experience would make a person successful in this position?
- Candidates must be 18 years of age, a United States citizen, a resident of Portage County at time of appointment, and have no felony convictions;
- Local government experience and elections experience would be an asset;
- Organized and detail oriented;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to insured vehicle for work-related travel
Portage County offers a robust benefit package for this position. Benefits include:
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a Traditional PPO plan)
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan
2020 Salary: $75,920. The salary during the training period will be at Pay Grade 24 of the Portage County Salary Schedule
To be considered for appointment interested parties can apply on the Portage County website; www.co.portage.wi.us, or with a paper application that can be obtained in the Human Resources Department, 1462 Strongs Ave., Stevens Point, WI or by calling 715-346-1327.
Deadline to apply: 4:30 p.m., September 18, 2019
Visit https://www.everythingpointshere.com/ to see why Portage County is a great place to live and work!
Portage County is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer