This position requires the exercise of considerable independent judgment, with decisions having major county-wide and regional fiscal, environmental, and public opinion impact. The Department provides a service that must compete with private sector waste disposal and recycling. The Administrator must administer a program that is nimble, efficient and competitive. Supervision and direction over staff and support personnel is exercised in complex program areas. The employee in this position reports directly to the County Executive, as well as working with the solid waste management board on policy matters. This employee also must work cooperatively with the county board, county board committees/boards and department heads and user municipalities and private sector users in administering and coordinating solid waste department activities.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the County Executive. The position is an appointed position per Wisconsin State Statutes 59.17 (2) (br). Performs as a collaborative member of Portage County’s management team, participating in department and County leadership and management functions under the direction of the County Executive.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, business administration, solid waste management, resource management, environmental sciences, planning, engineering or closely related fields required.
- Strong leadership experience in a successful business and/or government operation.
- Receptivity/ability to following directives of the county executive and solid waste management board is required.
- Management level supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in preparing integrated management plans, grant applications, contract development, negotiations and administration is highly desirable.
- Experience in public relations and marketing.
- Experience in landfill and/or recycling program management preferred.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
Portage County offers a robust benefit package for this position. Benefits include;
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution)
- Paid holidays
- Sick leave
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan
Apply at: www.co.portage.wi.us
Portage County Human Resources
1462 Strongs Ave.
Stevens Point, WI 54481