Portage County is all about having a servant heart and providing services that enable our citizens to build productive communities, families and lives. The Health and Human Services department has a 36 hr / week Community Health Nurse opening!
What are the primary job duties?
Prevention of Illness, Promotion of Health, and Protection of Portage County Residents from Communicable Disease and Other Hazards, which includes:
Community Dimensions of Practice, which includes:
- Applies the nursing process to individuals, families and groups in the community setting such as schools, home, clinic, jail, and businesses.
- Performs comprehensive individual and family assessments, typical nursing care such as physical and psycho-social assessment, family assessment, assessment for substance abuse or domestic violence issues, treatment, education, counseling, and referrals.
- Assesses needs pertinent to the health of the individual, families or groups.
- Works with specialized programs such as control of communicable disease, immunization, school health, AIDS/HIV, and others, and the follow up of these programs.
- Sets up and operates public health clinics, such as Family and School Immunization Clinics.
- Collaborates with other community agencies and resources in the planning of public health programs.
- Care coordination, referral, and follow-up to individuals and families who may be part of a vulnerable population and/or high-risk groups. Attend and participate in multi-disciplinary meetings as indicated for the individual, family, or group.
- Makes presentations to schools and other interested community groups on public health issues.
- Uses public health surveillance/disease investigation methods in community outreach, screening, and case finding of communicable and infectious diseases that threaten the health of the community.
- Responds to individual client emergencies in the clinical or school setting with basic life support and first aid skills. Summons other health care providers and emergency response personnel in a timely and appropriate manner.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Delivers targeted, culturally-appropriate information to help individuals and groups understand health promotion and disease prevention information, policies, regulations and local code.
- Advocates on behalf of vulnerable individuals and populations; participates in assessing and evaluation of school health and community health services to ensure people are informed of available health department and community programs and services and are assisted in the utilization of those services.
- Serves as a resource for staff, community, and other community providers.
- Collaborates with supervisor in Quality Improvement projects that seek to improve the delivery of health services and to improve the health of communities to determine new ways to address health issues.
- Prepares written yearly school health report for sharing with supervisor and section coordinator to address annual program planning.
Portage County offers the following benefits:
- Graduate from accredited school of nursing with Bachelor of Science (BSN) degree required.
- Current Wisconsin Registered Nurse license required.
- One year of nursing experience preferred; public health nursing experience preferred.
- Current CPR certification or ability to become CPR certified required.
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) Paid by the County
- Employee Wellness program
- Vacation - available on date of hire!
- Paid holidays
- Sick pay
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan