Join us in creating books that inspire, intrigue, and educate millions and millions of readers! Our Lead Web Press Operators are responsible for leading the press operations and crew to ensure efficient and quality production. No press or print industry experience? That's OK, we'll train! We're looking for mechanically-inclined candidates with a solid work history, a desire to learn, and the ability to effectively lead a small crew.
Our 4 on-4 off schedule provides 182 days off per year (not including vacation or overtime). You'll work a 12-hour shift from 7p-7a on a rotation of 4 days on, 4 days off. You will not rotate between days and nights. Your schedule is set upon hire (and at the beginning of the calendar year and each year thereafter) so you know what days you'll be working and what days you'll be able to enjoy having off for the whole year!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in achieving, maintaining and monitoring quality of signatures throughout the press run to include achieving and maintaining proper ink and water balance; maintaining consistent acceptable color; assisting with registration, web alignment, set margins, slitters, and cut off; and working with customers to achieve acceptable levels of quality.
- Provide effective crew leadership which includes serving as a positive role model to crew members in the areas of safety, work ethic, and morale; rotating crew members throughout shift to provide for breaks and reduce fatigue as time allows; providing feedback to supervisors regarding staffing and training of press crew; motivating staff in support of department objectives and timely and effective schedules to ensure production goals; assigning crew members to job tasks to meet production and quality requirements and allow for and assist in training situations as needed; providing training to crew members to ensure they can perform the next level position; and promoting the concept of working together as a team and with other departments, shifts, and crews to build continual improvement within Worzalla.
- Work with crew and supervisors to establish and review a list of maintenance tasks to be performed during make-readies and scheduled downtime.
- Order plates and additional blankets when necessary; provide appropriate information when placing order; and ensure that correct proofs are available for each job and returned upon completion of the job.
- Ensure that counts are correct and that flex is completed correctly.
- Ensure that proper ordered counts are achieved according to print order.
- Determine first save copies on all start-ups; pull appropriate hourly pulls and samples.
- Preplan and execute make-readies in a timely and effective manner.
- Perform and/or assign preventative maintenance duties as necessary, fill out maintenance request forms with supervisor help when necessary.
- Maintain inking systems on the press.
- Keep track of all tools assigned to press and ensure that assigned tools are returned by the end of shift.
- Responsible for checking jobs for accuracy.
- Responsible for cleaning and general housekeeping in department.
- Observe and correct possible safety hazards as they happen, investigate and report accidents as required and review safety concerns with crew on a regular basis.
- Foster the continual use and implementation of the philosophies and tools that are taught through Worzalla’s training program.
- Provide accurate information when recording waste and production information. Ensure that accurate job and crew time cards and paperwork are turned in.
- Communicate and provide feedback for internal and external customers.
- Attend and participate in required meetings.
- Provide back-up supervisory coverage in absence of shift supervisor and on weekends as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Solid work history.
- Previous press experience preferred, not required.
- Previous crew leadership experience preferred, not required.
- Must be participative and have the ability to develop a work environment in which cooperation, empowerment and teamwork among crew is the accepted norm.
- Ability to actively participate in production-related activities and follow the direction of supervisors.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks for an extended period of time.
- Ability to lift average weights up to 30-50# and stand for 8+ hours per day.
- Knowledge of arithmetic and structure and content of the English language to include the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition required.
- Ability to consistently and effectively work independently with little or no direction and follow up to complete assignments required.
- Ability to demonstrate practical and technical knowledge of the job including an understanding of work instructions, processes, equipment, and materials to perform the job required.
- Ability to consistently and effectively complete work and required paperwork thoroughly, accurately, and neatly following established processes and procedures required.
- Ability to consistently and effectively demonstrate initiative and creativity; teamwork and cooperation; and adhere to and comply with all company and environmental, health, and safety policies, procedures, and work rules required.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work overtime and other shifts required.
- Prompt and reliable attendance required.
Wage: $22-$27/hour ($21-$26 + $1.00/hour shift premium). New operators participate in a training program with regular evaluations and pay increases based on performance.
Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; long-term disability; paid time off and holidays; flexible spending account/health savings account; 401k; employee stock ownership plan; employee assistance program; tuition reimbursement; on-site health clinic.?HOW TO APPLY