Join us in creating books that inspire, intrigue, and educate millions and millions of readers! As a machine operator, you'll be trained to set up, operate, and tend various machines to ensure the highest level of quality. Machines include laminators, folders, stitchers, sewers, binders, cutters, and trimmers.
Now hiring for the following shifts:
- 3rd Shift: Sunday - Thursday 11 p.m. - 7 a.m.
- 2nd Shift: Monday - Friday 3 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- 4 days on, 4 days off - 6 p.m. - 6 a.m.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set up, operate, and tend machines.
- Review work orders, job instructions, and quality specifications to determine appropriate machine settings, and adjustments.
- Start machines to verify set ups and make necessary adjustments.
- Prepare and load materials.
- Monitor machine operations to detect malfunctions and report and resolve issues.
- Inspect equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Provide work direction to hand operators assigned to machine.
- Perform general maintenance on machine.
- Provide effective crew leadership which includes serving as a positive role model to crew members in the areas of safety, work ethic, and morale; rotating crew members throughout shift to provide for breaks and reduce fatigue as time allows; providing feedback to supervisors regarding staffing and training of crew; motivating staff in support of department objectives and timely and effective schedules to ensure production goals; assigning crew members to job tasks to meet production and quality requirements and allow for and assist in training situations as needed; providing training to crew members; and promoting the concept of working together as a team and with other departments, shifts, and crews to build continual improvement within Worzalla.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of one year of machine set up and operation experience preferred, not required.
- Knowledge of production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mechanical and math skills required.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks for an extended period of time.
- Ability to lift average weights up to 75# and stand for 8+ hours per day.
- Knowledge of arithmetic and structure and content of the English language to include the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition required.
- Ability to consistently and effectively work independently with little or no direction and follow up to complete assignments required.
- Ability to demonstrate practical and technical knowledge of the job including an understanding of work instructions, processes, equipment, and materials to perform the job required.
- Ability to consistently and effectively complete work and required paperwork thoroughly, accurately, and neatly following established processes and procedures required.
- Ability to consistently and effectively demonstrate initiative and creativity; teamwork and cooperation; and adhere to and comply with all company and environmental, health, and safety policies, procedures, and work rules required.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work overtime and other shifts required.
- Prompt and reliable attendance required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Starting wage: $15.50-$18/hour depending on machine type, previous experience, and shift. Associates in a training program will receive regular performance reviews and increases during their training period.
Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; long-term disability; paid time off and holidays; health savings account; 401k; employee stock ownership plan; employee assistance program; tuition reimbursement; on-site health clinic.
HOW TO APPLY