In partnership with UNITED WAY of Portage County, we are currently seeking a full-time EARLY LEARNING COORDINATOR (BIRTH-TO-8). This is a direct hire opportunity and an exciting time to be joining the United Way team.
Purpose of Position:
Supports programming for Children from Birth to 8 years old
- 50% of time: Coordinates the Learn for Life literacy program for the United Way of Portage County. Recruits, trains, and recognizes volunteer tutors who help build reading proficiency in children in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades in Portage County school districts.
- Investigate and develop additional strategies to expand opportunities to increase reading proficiency by the end of third grade for program participants
- 50% of time: Serves as backbone support to the Born Learning Collective Impact Initiative focusing on closing the Academic Achievement Gap and having children safe and ready for Kindergarten in Portage County.
- Manages the continuing collaboration that brings together human service partners, as well as public and private partners to build support for the early years
- Build support for a childcare collaborative within Portage County that will build capacity to support the community’s needs for quality and affordable childcare.
- Administers the Community Diaper Drive, raising funds, setting up collection sites, and disbursing diapers and reimbursements.
LEARN FOR LIFE PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working with teachers within the Portage County school districts, identify the need for tutors to support 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade students who have not reached grade level reading proficiency expectations
- Recruit and supervise selected tutors, providing orientation, placement and ongoing support and in-service training as needed
- Develop and monitor outcomes to evaluate program effectiveness reporting results via e-CImpact
- Develop strong evaluation tools to assess the success of program tutor’s efforts in engaging students in accomplishing program goals
- At beginning and end of school year, collect, maintain and communicate data related to student assessments
- Create an Annual Report of program results and achievements
- Provide continuous quality improvement to Learn for Life program, implementing recommendations from tutor evaluations, teacher feedback, and United Way Leadership committees
- Work with school districts and other partners to ensure tutor practices and tutor management is in line with the partner policies and expectations
- Coordinate Summer Sizzle reading events, finding sponsors for each event, and maintaining inventory needs of program supplies including books
- Participate in trainings related to tutor management and literacy skill building or program related topics
- May provide short term tutoring coverage as a sub for selected students at a specific school
- Partner with Project Fresh Start to help students build personal libraries and further their love of reading
Plan and Execute the Community Diaper Drive (held from Mother’s Day to Father’s Day each Year)
- Oversee collection, storage and distribution of diapers
- Maintain tracking of diaper and dollar donations and expenditures being reimbursed to designated program recipients
- Write solicitation, grant requests and thank you letters to identified individuals/organizations who support the Diaper Drive
BORN LEARNING RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the lead for the Born Learning Initiative, inspiring community partners in the private, government, and non-profit sectors to work together to achieve a reduction in child abuse and neglect, improve child health, promote optimal child development, and strengthening Portage County families.
- Provide leadership in problem resolution and innovative thinking to meet the long term needs of children in Portage County.
- Develop relationships and build partnerships with key stakeholders and potential stakeholders who will help further work around the early years.
- Ensure programs under the Birth to 8 Initiative value diversity, equity, and cultural differences, bringing cultural competence into initiative work whenever possible;
- Identify potential funding sources to support goals and priorities related to the early years, writing grants as needed, or overseeing work of grant writer, working with implementing agencies to provide information to support their grant applications, and overseeing grant reporting to funders as required;
- Manage the coordination of initiative activities including executive and steering committee, work groups, and community engagement activities, assisting leadership to facilitate meetings, in preparation of agendas, development of workplan meeting materials, and meeting minutes as needed;
- Provide guidance and support to partner organizations in aligning their work to community level outcomes and the Common Agenda of the initiative; (i.e. identifying opportunities for program work to support specific outcomes and shared measurements);
- Collect and analyze initiative related data to inform decision making and the continuous quality improvement processes for initiative; provide data on progress against outcomes and indicators to stakeholders;
- Ensure consistent communication to project partners and stakeholders engaged in Born Learning initiative;
- Serve as a strong, neutral, and skilled facilitator who can guide team, partners, and stakeholders towards consensus and a defined, shared vision and results;
- Collaborate with the communications and marketing staff to develop communications and marketing materials evolve; work with the to complete FAQ’s, summary documents, brochures, presentations, website updates, and social medial postings;
- Work with the United Way Executive Director and Director of Resource Development, to engage cross-sector (education, social service, business, and civic) partners across the Portage County area who are connected to and enable initiatives/collaboratives to develop, grow, and become self-sustaining.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE MAJOR FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION. OTHER DUTIES RELATED TO THE POSITION OCCUR OCCASIONALLY OR AS DELEGATED BY THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OR DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY IMPACT. THEY REQUIRE ATTENTION AS NEEDED.
Essential Skills and Qualities:
- Demonstrated ability to manage the scope, requirements, deliverables, timeline, and resource needs of complex, multi-stakeholder projects;
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate diverse groups of stakeholders to achieve a common outcome;
- Team player who is willing to step up, fail and learn from mistakes, and share the learning with other team members;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, objectivity and to separate personal views from discussion and processes;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, and strategic thinking. Must be an effective and open communicator with multiple audiences, including residents, community-based organizations, government, philanthropic organizations, educators, health professionals and services providers;
- Advanced problem-solving skills to work through and resolve key challenges;
- Results oriented with a can-do attitude, demonstrated performance in delivering outcomes and while working independently with limited supervision;
- Be a creative thinker who can see possibilities beyond barriers;
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple assignments concurrently;
- Computer competency, specifically MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and data base programs as required by initiative work.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Degree preferred in education field focused on teaching children birth to eight, with additional experience leading a team through project initiation, development, and completion. Must demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, computer proficiency, and an ability to prioritize, meet tight deadlines while handling multiple tasks is required. Requires experience working with and supporting volunteers. Knowledge of human services issues, program development, business operations, and budget development and monitoring are critical. Grant writing and research experience helpful.
Flex-Staff is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.