Reports To: Leadership Team
Salary: Range per Year: $31,200 to $35,360
Does not include current annual add benefit of $3,846.70*
Based: Custer Office
Approximate Start Date: August 15, 2018
The Events Manager is responsible for development, management, and evaluation of MREA’s annual Energy Fair. Work will be performed closely with the Events Coordinator, Site Manager, Volunteer Coordinator, Communication Coordinator, Leadership Team, and other staff as necessary to carry out work including but not limited to sponsor/exhibitor solicitation, speaker scheduling, securing continuing education credits, marketing, budget analysis, content development, and proofreading of outreach materials.
This position works closely with other staff and volunteers who lead areas of The Energy Fair to ensure deadlines are met and requirements fulfilled and will be specifically responsible for leading the Events Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, and MREA Café interns.
- Maintain Energy Fair planning timeline
- Lead The Energy Fair Working Group
- Analyze Energy Fair financials regularly, assist in budget development, and approval of invoices
- Lead workshop schedule solicitation/coordination
- Solicit sponsors, exhibitors, food vendors, keynotes, workshop speakers, and program guide ads.
- Assist with reservations, permits, forms, and other logistics
- Assist in grant writing as needed to support Energy Fair
- Work with necessary staff, community leaders, and volunteers to plan and implement the following areas including but not limited to:
- Energy Fair Publications (pre-fair guide, program guide)
- Ticket and Camping Sales
- Clean Transportation Show
- Exhibitors and Food Vendors
- Energy Fair Education (free workshops, extended workshops, installer workshops, etc.)
- MREA Café
- Silent Auction
- Rainbow’s End
- Transportation (mass transit and local shuttles)
- MREA Dinners
- Information Technology/Audio Visual (Workshop projectors, entertainment, Wi-Fi access)
- Answer questions and direct people to information related to The Energy by phone, in person, and by email.
Move Some Earth Day
- Assist Site Manager, Events Coordinator, and Volunteer Coordinator in planning and implementation of annual event, Move Some Earth Day in May.
- Assist in answering telephone and greeting visitors to MREA’s ReNew the Earth Institute
- Assist with reservations, permits, forms, and other logistics for other MREA events as necessary
- Collect data and provide reports on work accomplished to program contracting agents and participants
- Participate in working groups as needed
- Maintain instructional documents for position description, coordinate with others as needed
- Follow MREA remote work procedures, including office hour scheduling, work-from-home scheduling, and activity reporting.
Outreach and Promotion
- Work with Communication Coordinator and others to plan and carry out Energy Fair Promotion (post cards, email/radio/tv marketing, social media, posters, online calendar listings, yard signs)
- Attend outreach events throughout the Midwest representing MREA as necessary
- Assist in building our contact base for event and general MREA promotion
- Attend staff meetings and professional development days as needed
- Participate in staff reviews
- Participate in MREA Board of Director meetings and planning sessions
- Manage assistants, interns, and/or volunteers as needed
A successful candidate will be:
- Results oriented and self-directed, with a passion for the MREA’s mission
- Organized and focused with proven ability to prioritize and complete activities with deadlines
- Able and willing to travel and work some weekends as needed
- Comfortable working in groups and have experience building partnerships with diverse audiences
- Accustomed to working with a variety of computer programs, demonstrating proficiency in word processing, presentation software, and data management
- An excellent written and verbal communicator who can promote the MREA’s mission to the public and market stakeholders
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Have a bachelors or other advanced degree in a related field, event/hospitality/tourism management, including education, communication, renewable energy policy, sustainability, marketing
- Have event or marketing experience
- Have 3 or more years of professional experience in a related field
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation & holidays
- Free Electric Vehicle Charging
- Optional cafeteria insurance plan (vision, dental, disability, etc.)
- *Added benefit paid per paycheck less tax allocated annually during budgeting and approved by MREA Board of Directors
- Flexible work environment
- Casual dress code
- Free registration to MREA trainings
- Paid training when necessary/applicable
- Work from home opportunities
To apply, send a PDF that includes a cover letter detailing your qualifications, a resume including education and experience, and contact information for three professional references. All correspondence must be electronic and sent to Amiee Wetmore at email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted through 5:00 p.m. Central Time on Thursday, July 26, 2018.
Mission: The MREA promotes renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainable living through education and demonstration.
MREA is an equal employment opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in a manner that violates the law. MREA is committed to employing qualified people regardless of their age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, marital status, military status, mental or physical disability, source of income, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or any other class protected by law. MREA does not discriminate on the basis of these characteristics in any personnel action.