Portage County is all about having a servant heart and providing services that enable our citizens to build productive communities, families and lives. The Health and Human Services department is hiring a part-time Sanitarian to join our team.
This position is 24 hours per week and is eligible for insurance!
What are the primary job responsibilities?
Conducts Inspections of Licensed Establishments to Ensure Compliance with State, and Local Laws and Codes:
Provides General Environmental Health Services:
- Provides periodic inspections of restaurants, taverns, campgrounds, mobile home parks, swimming pools, lodging establishments, recreational/educational camps, vending machines, retail food establishments and schools in Portage County.
- Completes follow-up inspections of establishments according to the county’s enforcement policies.
- Inspects new establishments and change of operator establishments prior to licensing.
- Reviews plans and specifications to determine compliance with applicable regulations.
- Collects water and food samples for laboratory analysis.
- Enforces Portage County's environmental health ordinances and applicable state codes.
- Gathers evidence, makes reports, and initiates complaints for prosecution.
- Conducts training courses in food handling and participates in HACCP evaluations.
- Participates in investigation of foodborne illness outbreaks.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports as required.
- Inspects tattoo parlors and body piercing establishments regarding environmental health code requirements.
- Performs sanitary surveys of all DNR transient non-community water systems.
Provides Informational and Educational Services to County Citizens, Officials and Other Departments:
- Investigates human health hazards including, but not limited to, indoor air quality, rabies, and unsafe well complaints.
- Documents investigation findings, submits recommendations for corrective action, and follows up to assure that appropriate action has been taken.
- Conducts environmental lead assessments and provides lead poisoning prevention education.
- Participate in Emergency Preparedness activities and assist as needed during public health emergencies.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Develops informational materials relative to Environmental Health programs and conducts public information seminars.
- Provides consultation on an individual and/or group basis regarding environmental health hazards and issues.
Portage County offers the following benefits:
- Bachelor of Science degree; natural science or other related environmental health background required.
- One year environmental or public health related work experience required.
- Registered sanitarian preferred. Must seek State of Wisconsin Sanitarian Registration when eligible if not Registered Sanitarian at time of hire.
- Environmental health related certification/registration preferred.
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) Paid by the County
- Employee Wellness program
- Vacation - available on date of hire!
- Paid holidays
- Sick pay
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan