Portage County is all about having a servant heart and providing services that enable our citizens to build productive communities, families and lives. The Health and Human Services department has a Social Worker (Jail) opening!
This position provides support services to adult and juvenile inmates in the jail setting. Duties and responsibilities include assessments/short-term intervention, support group facilitation, referrals, consultations, educational services and follow-up services. position works closely with correction officers within the facility, probation and parole, the corrections administration, Health and Human Services Programs, and other supportive community organizations.
What are the primary job duties?
Provision of Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA) consultations and interventions to the adults and juveniles in the correction environment, including;
Administrative/Support Services, including;
- Provides assessments of strengths and weaknesses of the individual inmate.
- Provides individual supportive interventions.
- Provides intervention support services in crises situations.
- Provides screening and assessment for psychiatric consults.
- Supports treatment programs already established through HHS and Jail Services. (CCS/CSP, OWI, Psychiatry Services).
- Provides facilitation of support groups i.e. in:
- AODA Support Groups
- Seeking Safety
- Relapse Prevention Groups
- CAP Services group
- Assertiveness training
- Employment Skills training
- Mid State Technical College HSED/Career Track programming
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Parenting Class
Works as a liaison and provides coordination of services relative to jail activities, including;
- Monitors and coordinates integrated support services for the inmates.
- Develops policies and procedures for inmate support services.
- Develops and implements services to address the specific needs of the individual inmate.
- Provides consultation to community agencies who provide services to the inmates.
- Provides input to the annual support services budget.
- Monitor and evaluates the effectiveness of support services.
- Responsible for coordination of volunteer programs.
What are the minimum requirements?
- Provides information and support to the correction officers in the jail environment.
- Provides coordination of services with community organizations in the provision of services for the inmates, especially Probation & Parole and Health and Human Services.
- Serves as a member of the Justice Coalition.
- Coordinates with community agencies to effectively provide a network of support services regarding a post-release program including assistance with employment obtainment, AODA/MH treatment referrals and Bridge the Gap programming.
- Ongoing collaboration with HHS Child Welfare Unit as needed.
- Ongoing collaboration with Portage County Treatment Drug Court.
Portage County offers the following benefits:
- Bachelor degree in Social Work or other human services field required.
- Certification or eligibility for certification in Wisconsin as a social worker preferred.
- Experience in a corrections environment preferred.
- Experience in conducting support groups
- Background in the delivery of mental health and chemical abuse services.
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) Paid by the County
- Employee Wellness program
- Vacation - available on date of hire!
- Paid holidays
- Sick pay
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hours/week)
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan