Do you have a passion to help others and work with the elderly? The Aging and Disability Resource Center has a part time, on call position open. The Adult Day Center Aide conducts activity programs and assists in providing supervision and care to meet the social, medical and recreational needs of participants in the Adult Day Center.
Essential Functions Include:
1. Welcome participants to the Center and provide assistance with activities of daily living as necessary. This may include: 1) helping with coats; 2) assistance in ambulation; 3) transport to and from activity areas; 4) accompanying to bathroom; 5) performing personal care such as toileting and feeding; 6) monitoring disoriented participants for personal safety.
2. Accompany, encourage and assist participants to activities within Lincoln Center and on community outings.
3. Conduct activities as assigned by ADC Coordinator.
4. Assist participants in teaching crafts.
5. Assist participants in completing volunteer projects.
6. Visit in one-to-one or small groups for conversation, table games, cards, craft projects, and other activities.
7. Assist with getting, serving, and clearing away noon meal trays, craft supplies/projects, and snacks/refreshments.
8. Help to maintain the Center in a safe, orderly, and clean manner.
9. Make suggestions for participant care plans.
10. Give verbal reports to the ADC Coordinator on any changes noted in participant behavior, personality, or functional levels.
11. Maintain supply room.
12. Decorate the Center.
13. Answer telephone and take messages in absence of supervisor.
14. Refer family or caregiver requests/inquiries to supervisor.
15. Participate in staff meetings and trainings as requested by supervisor.
16. Perform other duties as requested by the ADC Coordinator.
Education and Experience:
Successful experience working with frail older adults in paid or volunteer capacity preferred.
Necessary interpersonal skills and abilities:
a) friendly, outgoing
b) good listener
c) dependable and punctual
e) objective and equitable treatment of all participants
f) demonstrate genuine concern for the well-being of the elderly
g) be cooperative with staff, co-workers, volunteers
h) ability to maintain confidentiality
i) ability to maintain control in difficult, stressful or threatening situations
This position is a part time, on call position with the maximum of 20 hours per week.