Portage County is all about having a servant heart and providing services that enable our citizens to build productive communities, families and lives. We are hiring a Chief Deputy Medical Examiner to join our team. This position is part time/on call (approximately 8 hrs / week and on call.)
What are the primary job responsibilities?
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Investigates deaths in accordance with Wisconsin State Statues, including evaluating death scenes, examining and preserving evidence, investigating the circumstances of death by obtaining personal data and medical history through records and interviews; and establishes initial assessment of cause and manner of death, as natural, suicidal, accidental, homicidal or undetermined.
- Determines need for autopsy, toxicology, radiology, etc.; involvement from other agencies/departments such as law enforcement/detective, crime lab, District Attorney, pathologist, etc.; obtains appropriate records from law enforcement, heath care establishments, etc. to coordinate a comprehensive, multidisciplinary investigation.
- Prepares and maintains reports documenting the facts and findings of all death investigations and other activities pertinent to the investigation.
- Determines positive identification of the decedent.
- Collects, maintains and disposes of evidence; obtains bodily specimens; maintains and sorts records and documents; maintains, sorts and reviews photographs; prepares presentations and slides.
- Arranges for performance of pathological or mediological examinations and other tests, including autopsies, as individual situations warrant, and may accompany body to and observe the autopsies.
- Answers family questions and concerns over deceased individuals.
- Provides court testimony as needed. Testifies as an expert witness when requested concerning the facts and conclusions disclosed by autopsies, physical examinations and any other tests performed.
- Prepares and provides cremation authorizations, disinterment permits and death certificates as required. Prepares and submits reports, documentation and correspondence including medical examiners reports, traffic fatality reports, statistics, firearm death reports, etc.
- Provides the supervision of Deputy Medical Examiners in the absence of the Medical Examiner. Administers Human Resources policies and performs personnel actions as necessary.
- Prepares staff schedules to provide 24-hour coverage of duties including on-call schedules as required.
- Assists in the preparation and administration of department annual budget. Purchases and maintains supplies and equipment as required.
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
This position is not eligible for benefits.
- Associate degree in paramedic, nursing, biology, medicine, pre-med, forensic science or criminal justice or related field required.
- One year experience in medical investigations.
- Experience as a Medical Examiner or Deputy Coroner with equivalent of 1-2 years of full time work.
- Possession of or ability to obtain American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (ABMDI) board certification preferred.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skill and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle for business related travel.
- Must be available twenty four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week, unless proper replacement and this is reported to dispatching/paging agency.