This position is responsible for the performance of a variety of work of the manual nature related to the maintenance and construction of roads. Work may also extend into the operating of a variety of light and medium level equipment. Generally no supervision is given to other employees and direct supervision is received from a supervisor.
Essential functions of position includes;
- Perform manual road construction and maintenance tasks.
- Install and remove snow fence
- Replace guardrail, road patching
- Cut brush, tar cracks, use hand and small power tools
- Collect refuse from various roadways and other similar manual tasks.
- Operate light and medium duty equipment for plowing, sanding, salting as well as for the transporting of maintenance materials.
- Operate industrial tractors for roadside maintenance
- Drive quad and tri axle trucks engaged in the transportation of construction and maintenance materials.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Must possess a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) at the time of application and a safe driving record.
- Must be able to lift up to 70 pounds, and push/pull up to 85 pounds.
- Experience working physically demanding duties.
- Experience operating heavy equipment preferred.
- Must be available to be called to work seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day to handle emergency work conditions to provide safe and economic conditions.
- Knowledge of the capabilities, limitations and hazards in the operation of assigned equipment.
Portage County offers a robust benefit package for this position. Benefits include;
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with the High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a Traditional PPO plan)
- Paid holidays
- Sick leave
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County
- Dental insurance
- 457B Deferred Compensation Plan