Aquatic classes for children and adults at UW-Stevens Point this fall
Caption: The Stevens Point Lifelong Aquatics Supporting Health (SPLASH) program is offering a wide variety of swim classes for adults and children at UW-Stevens Point this fall.
A longstanding University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point swim program that has impacted the lives of children and adults is expanding its community services and re-launching with a new name.
Formerly SNAP, the Stevens Point Lifelong Aquatics Supporting Health (SPLASH) program will offer a wide variety of classes for adults and children at UW-Stevens Point this fall.
Adults with arthritis and older adults looking for a low-impact workout to improve strength and balance are offered classes twice a week during two sessions: Sept. 3-Oct. 25 and Oct. 28-Dec. 20. Each session is $80. The 45-minutes classes are for up to 15 participants.
Choose from the following adult classes:
Young children of all abilities accompanied by a parent or guardian may participate in weekly child/parent classes Sept. 3-Oct. 25 for $40. Classes run 30 minutes for up to 10 children. Children gain an initial positive water experience, learn safety skills in and around water and just have fun.
Choose from the following child/parent classes:
- Jazzy Joints (new) – 10 a.m. Monday and Wednesday. This class focuses on range of motion and flexibility through dance and stretching-inspired movements.
- Aquatic Mixer – 8 a.m. Monday and Wednesday; or 10 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday. This class offers a mix of body strength, flexibility and cardiovascular activities using various equipment and is a great class for social individuals.
- Balance Plus – 8 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday. This class helps individuals improve or maintain their balance.
- Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program – 4 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. This class is follows national Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program protocol.
All classes are held in the therapeutic pool, adjacent to the Quandt Fieldhouse in the UW-Stevens Point Marshfield Clinic Health Systems Champions Hall (formerly the Health Enhancement Center), 2050 Fourth Ave., Stevens Point.
Early registration is advised, as program space is limited. For new online registration and more information, go to www.uwsp.edu/splash, call 715-346-2409 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parents of Preschoolers-POPs (new) (9 months-4 years) – 9 a.m. Friday. Children and parents will be exposed to water adjustment activities, introduced to appropriate water safety skills and learn supported movements in this new class.
- Infant/toddler (9-36 months) – 5:30 p.m. Monday or Thursday. Infants and parents will be exposed to water adjustment activities, introduced to appropriate water safety skills and learn supported movements.
- Preschool (3-4 years) – 6:10 p.m. Monday or Thursday. Learn independent propulsive swimming movements, participate in advanced water adjustment activities, learn water safety skills and practice combined skills for basic swimming strokes in preparation for Level 1 swimming progression.