The Portage County Circuit Court has a full-time Judicial Assistant position open! This position provides assistance to the Judge in all aspects of office operations and court calendar management.
What are the primary job duties?
- Organize and maintain Judge’s calendar, files, and records.
- Work with court in drafting legal documents including: opinions, correspondence, decisions, reports, dispositions, memoranda’s, agendas, jury instructions, orders, and notices.
- Manage Court Calendar including: scheduling of court hearings, trials, conferences, legal appointments, meetings and activities of the Judge; hold scheduling conferences with attorneys and prepare scheduling orders.
- Generate legal notices for scheduled hearings with appropriate appearance instructions.
- Appoint Counsel or Guardian Ad Litems upon approval of the Petition for Appointment of an Attorney and ensures completion of a Wage Assignment if so ordered.
- Post court calendar daily and update weekly calendar.
- When required, contact attorneys and/or parties concerning court date appointments, cancelations, and status of scheduled hearings.
- When required, contact institutions (Prisons, Jails, and/or Mental Health Facilities) to arrange video/phone appearances for inmates.
- Answer the office telephone, provide information, and direct inquiries to the proper offices and departments.
- Work cooperatively with other Judicial Assistants to ensure administrative consistency across all judicial policies and procedures.
- Greet visitors.
- Process all incoming and outgoing mail.
- Initiate and maintain procedures on computer network using Microsoft Office software.
- Maintain all legal resources used by the Judge.
- Requisition office supplies; manage budget for Branch; enter expenses and attorney billing into county computer system.
- Coordinate with Facilities Department for Branch and Courtroom.
- Prepare and submit payroll and travel reimbursement requests.
What is the minimum education and experience needed?
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two (2) years legal office experience
- Paralegal technical college degree preferred
- Prior legal training and exposure is required
Portage County offers an AWESOME benefit package, which includes the following;
*** Deadline to apply is by 4:30 pm on Friday, June 9th
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
- Vacation - available on day one!
- Health insurance- your chothice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with a High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- Health insurance starting at $19.15 a paycheck!
- Wellness incentive plan offered with health insurance enrollment! Earn up to $600 per year!
- Flexible spending account
- Dental insurance
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan - County contribution of 6.8%!
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hrs / wk)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hrs / wk)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) - paid by the County
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer