Due to an upcoming retirement, the Portage County Sheriff's Office has a Deputy opening! In addition, we are opening up a 6 month eligibility list for future vacancies.
Summary of position:
This position is to maintain the most effective enforcement of Federal and State laws and ordinances for the preservation of public peace, protection of property, prevention of crime, and the arrest and conviction of violators. This is a law enforcement position with arrest powers. Work is performed in accordance with prescribed regulations and is reviewed by a supervisor through conferences, reports and a performance review.
Traffic control and investigation:
- Patrols county highways to enforce traffic laws (issues citations and summons).
- Investigates traffic accidents.
- Investigates traffic related accidents.
- Completes written reports on all traffic law enforcement activities.
- Appears and testifies in court or other hearings on traffic cases.
- Properly utilize equipment to enforce traffic laws, such as radar and breath alcohol measuring devices.
Crime control and criminal investigations:
- Respond to criminal complaints.
- Investigates criminal activities such as homicide, robbery, sexual assaults, burglaries, thefts, etc.
- Completes and types written reports to Sheriff upon completion of investigation.
- Gathers evidence pertaining to crimes.
- Interviews victims, suspects, and witnesses.
- Provides for security, reassurance, and safety of victims and witnesses.
- Presents testimony and evidence to the courts in criminal proceedings.
- Protects actual and potential crime scenes.
- Recognize and request appropriate assistance and resources as may be necessary.
Assistance in Jail operations:
- Supervises inmates in County Jail.
- Transports prisoners to and from the correctional facilities, county and circuit courts and other locations as needed.
- Maintains jail security and provides for medical, mental or other attention necessary for the inmates’ welfare.
- Transport mentally incompetent individuals requiring or seeking mental assistance to and from mental health facilities and to and from the courts.
- Receives calls of need or distress and dispatches necessary agencies, manpower, or equipment needed to handle the complaint or report.
Assistance in other departmental operations:
Minimum qualifications include:
- Serves civil and criminal process and assists the Sheriff in replevins, writs, and executions ordered by the courts.
- Maintains record of all activities while on duty and submits same to the immediate supervisor.
- Responds to disturbances and altercations and investigates as appropriate.
- Assists in security and crowd control at events in the county or other counties as directed by the Sheriff or designee.
- Coordinates emergency responses and personnel to include fire department, wrecker services, and ambulance needs.
- Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public.
- Conducts Community Policing activities including checking on the security of unoccupied buildings and public areas and maintaining contact with the public.
- Eligible for certification by the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board and high school diploma. Applicants must be certifiable in 2023.
- Must be 21 years of age and a U.S. Citizen
- Of good moral character
- No felony convictions unless pardoned by Governor. No domestic abuse convictions
- Must hold valid Wisconsin drivers license with good driving record
- Must satisfactorily complete all required training during time period established by department
- Ability to possess a firearm
- Good verbal and written communication skills and clear and concise speech
- React quickly and effectively to stressful situations
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously
- Ability to use all standard law enforcement equipment
- Prior experience as a law enforcement officer is preferred
- Vision correctable to 20/20
- Successful candidates will be required to successfully complete all of the following: written examination, oral interview, and background criminal investigation
Portage County offers an AWESOME benefit package, which includes the following;
- Vacation - available on day one!
- Health insurance- your choice of two health plans- (Health Savings Account associated with a High Deductible Health Plan with a County contribution or a PPO Co-pay plan)
- Health insurance starting at $19.33 a paycheck!
- Wellness incentive plan offered with health insurance enrollment! Earn up to $600 per year!
- Flexible spending account
- Dental insurance
- State of Wisconsin Retirement Plan - County contribution of 6.5%!
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Life insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hrs/wk)
- Long term disability insurance- premium paid by the County (must work a minimum of 30 hrs/wk)
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) - paid by the County
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan
- Post Employment Health Plan
The deadline to submit your application is by 4:30 pm on Friday, December 16th, 2022.
TO APPLY: https://www.co.portage.wi.us/
Portage County is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer